In 1930, two amateur radio operators, Creed M. Chorpening, W8WR (later W8MJM) and F.H. Woodworth, W8AHW began experimenting with different types of microphones for their "ham' stations. Their mutual friend, Charles Semple, worked for Brush Development Company where he had been experimenting with Rochelle salt crystals. Semple demonstrated some crystal pick-ups that Brush was working with, leading Chorpening and Woodworth to found The Astatic Microphone Laboratory, Inc. in Youngstown, Ohio in 1933. Semple was brought into the company as general manager to manufacture and market the company's model D-104 Crystal Microphone as well as other crystal microphones, crystal phonograph pickups and recording heads. In 1944, Astatic moved operations to Conneaut, Ohio and supplied microphones, pickups and crystal cartridges as well as hydrophone and Sonar devices to the military during World War II.

After World War II, Astatic Microphone Laboratory became The Astatic Corporation. Currently, the company is located in Solon, Ohio and offers microphones and audio accessories to various audio industries. The Amateur & CB product division of Astatic was sold to Barjan, LLC, a major mobile communications product distributor. Barjan has since expanded the Astatic name to include many accessories including coaxial cables, meters and antennas. Astatic also currently manufactures bullet style microphones, which are extremely popular among harmonica players. The Astatic model JT30 is the most popular of these, which is also sold as the Hohner BluesBlaster.